Monday, December 7, 2015

Where are all the black birth workers???

This is a serious topic that I've contemplated so many times. When I started on my journey to become a doula I had to realize a few things. For one I'd probably be one of only a few doulas of color in my area. That really saddens me because there is such a disparity of people of color who want to do this kind of work.

I'm connected to several groups on social media and locally and a few days ago I came across this article. Where are the woman of color birth worker   It brought up several relevant topics and a few topics that no one really wants to talk about in the black community.  I am truly happy to be a part a profession that at the end of the day I can be proud that I helped a mother, her partner and her family make that transition into parenthood.

My overwhelming need to use all of my acquired skills ultimately led me to go into business for myself. When I had to think about a name for my business I had to consider what my ultimate goal would be and I realized that it was to make a difference in my local community along with the greater community of people of color.

Soon my dream will be realized and I will be apart of the birth worker community and working with families in Northeastern Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment